Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Chalta hai!

Today while checking out of the hotel, I booked myself a cab for transporting my self and my luggage home. The lady on the other side told me it would be another half an hour before the cab arrives. A half hour and another fifteen minutes into the wait and I began to get impatient, and may I add, a little annoyed as well. So I called up again. And I was told that my cab request hadn’t been placed at all and it would not be possible now to get a cab.

And that’s how it began. My instincts told me to flare up at the moment and give the respective people a piece of my mind for their inefficiency. Thankfully, sanity prevailed and told me to calm down.

Next, I took an auto to go home. The guy overcharged. Which is not just normal, it’s also typical. And again, sanity made me accept it.

Ticked though as I was about the morning’s incidents, one thing I noticed was that life went on normally everywhere around me nevertheless. I know things like these keep happening to everyone, everywhere, almost every time. Am I the only one who bothers so much about all this; or is it really supposed to be shrugged off? Come to think of; there’s so much that we, as a people, have come to accept to the extent of becoming indifferent towards it. Today morning’s incidents are pittance.

Maybe the junta is right. Chalta hai!


~K.

5 comments:

ammu said...

The "chalta hai"....or "adjust kar lo" attitude is a major problem with Indians...in my very humble opinion.

Take New Yorkers for example...that's the other extreme...

How do you establish a middle ground? Keep your sanity and dont get taken for a ride?

:-)

tough one..

SugarBitz n MilkyBar said...

Hi,

It's disheartening when such blatant discourtesies or worse get accepted as common.

How does one balance with being assertive and letting certain things slide?

Anonymous said...

sad to know that you didn't blast the hotel guy for their inefficacy ...

and second would say it was your mistake to not bargain at a price before boarding an auto esp. in chennai... thats the only way out with chennai auto walas... if you do not know their language...

never go with this "chalta hai"... attitude... if you want to make that change... then you be the change...;-)...

bhalai ka jamana hi nahi raha hai... ;-)

be max bura....

Anonymous said...

wo kabhi to kisi ne dialogue mara tha kabhi..ki "God grant me the strength to change what i can, the serenity to accept what i cannot and wisdom to know the difference" :))

Anonymous said...

PhD ho gayi tumhare blogs pe aaj to. by god kuch bhi to likhti ho tum..lekin apan bhi kam nahin hain..apan ne sabpe comment diya..wo kya hai na ki...chalta hai hein hein hein

iyamwhatiyam