Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Living the Dream

If anyone was to make a movie or paint a picture or write a book about wishes coming true, I'd be the poster girl for it. Totally!

For as long as I can remember, I've got what I've wished for - studying Engineering, working in IT industry, living independently, International travel, finding love. Of course they've all taken time and effort - in most cases unconscious effort; because ironically - I've never believed in wishes as much as I've believed in work.

Through all of this, there was this long held desire, which I used to put off as not just ambitious but also vain - of teaching. I'd mentioned it in a few earlier posts and talked about it to some friends in the kind of conversations you remember even years later. I must admit, the idea was probably planted by the movie - "To Sir, With Love". And that may also be why it seemed vain and fantastical at the time, because .. well.. Sidney Poitier! But what was not so (and the credit for this would go to a vast number of people in my life), was the notion of good education being the solution to a whole lot of maladies.

Last year, when a friend told me about "this organization" called Teach For India - TFI for short - www.teachforindia.org; (Yes. I have pretty cool friends!) it simultaneously served as a reminder of all those conversations and an invitation to put my words to action. It was like a mysterious Karmic confluence was bringing all the broken pieces together. And hey, who am I to refuse this crazy, cosmic force when it comes calling?

Ergo - TFI.

So here I am - 2016 Teaching Fellow at Teach For India, about to start my Fellowship in a little more than 2 weeks, and still trying to come to terms with my job description. Thanks to a short volunteering stint, I've seen the perfect trailer of the routine, the challenges that lie ahead and the opportunities that we'll have to bring about a positive change. I've realized that if I am lucky, a student will allow me a glimpse into her life - touching my own in the process.

My occupational hazards have changed from laptop glare to chalk dust and mind-numbing frustration to, quite possibly, heart-breaking despair. But I'm thankful for the chance and proud to have signed up for it!

I think that wish of getting lost and looking and finding something may be on its way home too. I say it's about time!

Love, luck and hope.

~K.


ps: I read this quote by Rumi today - "What you seek is seeking you." Um.. if that's indeed true, someone should probably prepare the kids for what's coming their way. ;-)

Until later,

~K.

9 comments:

Yoga Teacher said...

Seek and you shall find...you have chosen a glorius path of making a difference in a young life.. And on the this path you will find a new you..you may just fall in love with this person

Unknown said...

Liked this the most: " I've realized that if I am lucky, a student will allow me a glimpse into her life - touching my own in the process."

Nicely written. A great journey ahead :)

Gocha said...

You do have some cool friends! 😎

~Me said...

Wow! :-) Fantastic, I have another friend (Praseeda) who's been a fellow for some time. Absolutely the very best for the amazing journey that you will embark on, along with your students. God Bless!

blueberry nights said...

Congratulations Didi :)

Akansha said...

Great post ! Here's to the Columbus in you : may you never end your quest for more in life.

Mayank Rakesh said...

ATB! Please stress on moral science and civic sense while u are at it... At least some of them might "get it"... Someday...

Right Cabs said...

Great Post and Congrats

Yang Kuo said...

Great post ! Here's to the Columbus in you : may you never end your quest for more in life.

สูตรบาคาร่า
gclub