Friday, February 18, 2005

Finished reading…

... Train To Pakistan. Had got the book as a birthday present. What a book! When I finished, I almost felt as if I shouldn’t have. It’s strong. And very moving. Set in the time of the Indo-Pak partition, at the heart of it, is a simple love story.
A couple of things that immediately and almost simultaneously came to my mind.
One, the lot of us have a LOT to be thankful for, to have been born in a time that did not have to witness the partition. God bless the people who survived the trauma, and even those who didn’t.
Two – there is immense power in simplicity. If you ever get a chance to read that book, you’ll realize why I’m saying this. The power of the book lies in the simplicity of its narration. It’s blatantly simple. And that’s what leaves such a great impact on the reader. (did on me, rather)

And finally – there is an amazing power in love.

If you get to lay your hands on that book… don’t lay off without reading it.

~K.

No comments: